The ragged pieces of ideas and thoughts of my attempt to live a life as a contemporary monastic in the urban city of Singapore..

 

I spent $6.10 for lunch today


The charm of Joo Chiat Road from the car... err..I know Singapore Law is against using handphone while driving but is taking photos okay? I wonder

I work in Joo Chiat Road. At lunch time its perhaps one of the best place to work in Singapore. Though the food may be good but I don't eat lunch so often because lunch time is always way too early for me. I wonder which wise guy first invented lunch time and defined it as an hour between 12 to 2 that now most companies have clearly adopted without consultation with their present employees :-) I'm always caught between a heavy breakfast and an anticipated heavy dinner so i usually work through lunch time with the hope of reaching dinner time unfazed.

Sometimes I fail. Like today at 3:30pm I felt hungry that i had to make a decision to eat .. something light. I wanted to spend 80 cents on a roti prata. Went to the prata shop and when I was told they are sold out, I had no choice, either a $3 prawn noodle across the road or go hungry. I decided to cross the road and it all happened so fast, I didn't know what hit me but there I was sitting there with a $5 prawn noodle (perhaps the most expensive prawn noodle I ever had in a non air conditioned place). To make matter worse when the auntie asked if I would like a drink, I said "yes, I would like a can of soya bean" when clearly I didn't want to pay for one. I think she ought to ask if I wanted to BUY or PAY FOR a drink. Then I would have said no for sure.

How mad was I ? (although at myself more than anyone else).. I spent $6.10 for a lunch I only wanted to pay 80 cents for.

Anyway a while later, I recalled a week back when London only wanted the joy of winning the bid for the 2012 Olympics but was surprised with something more; an inhumane terrorist attack on the city which claimed 50 lives. How is that compared to my lunch tragedy? What is the extra few dollars that eventually went into my own mouth anyway ?

It normally won't take long for us to realise that life is often not going to go the way we want it to. So we ought to live with contentment. Contentment by accepting the good with thanksgiving and the not so good with reflection & adjustment even if it results in suffering. That's probably the best way that we can live right now until we come to the end of our life journey where when we see the Lord, we will know that despite what life has dished out to us, it has reached where we always wanted it to reach after all. ie. Back to Him.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

December 2004   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   March 2007   April 2007   October 2008   December 2010   March 2011   July 2011   August 2011   September 2011   October 2011   March 2012   May 2012   August 2012   January 2014  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]