The ragged pieces of ideas and thoughts of my attempt to live a life as a contemporary monastic in the urban city of Singapore..

 

Igor The Bird Who Couldn't Sing



This is a book I read to my children last night. "Igor The Bird Who Couldn't Sing" was written by Satoshi Kitamura. It was a perfect story for someone like me who loved music but couldn't find anything to keep me doing it because he doesn't think he has the talent (or rhythm) for it. Igor was such a character, totally hopeless in something he truly loved. One day when he thought he couldn't do it anymore, he sang and found a willing audience in a big bird called Dodo. They later formed a duet and toured the world to play to whoever that is willing to listen to them.

At around midnight yesterday, when everyone else was sleeping, I found my willing audience once again. I wrote my first complete song called "This Time" after almost a year. I put a melody to it, and had it recorded with my rusty equipments... a guitar track, my own vocal and for the first time my drum track played with fingers on my little drum machine. After an hour or so, it was completed, waiting for someone else willing to listen to it. For now, I'm happy to know that God is my only willing audience.

I write (whether music or words) not for others to listen to more than for myself needing to do it. If what I write can bless others, great, otherwise its not for me to decide how God will use it or if He will use it at all. My job is to be faithful doing what I think God created me to do.

In the same manner, I will try to love, serve and make things with my hands. I may feel inadequent most of the time and thinks that no one appreciates them, I know for sure that God with His great taste will most certainly do.

I think I'll put this book into my Books of Fame! It'll be the first children book to end up there. Another good children book is the The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein, but it didn't impact me as much as this book did.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

December 2004   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   March 2007   April 2007   October 2008   December 2010   March 2011   July 2011   August 2011   September 2011   October 2011   March 2012   May 2012   August 2012   January 2014  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]