The ragged pieces of ideas and thoughts of my attempt to live a life as a contemporary monastic in the urban city of Singapore..

 

Meeting Jimmy Teo

I finally met Jimmy Teo the author of "The Legacy to His Sons" (reference: my Chiang Mai Trip) Had him at the church to share with the parents and the kids. It was a pleasure to meet him because he was the one whose writing in his book encouraged me to shower with cold water whenever possible. I don't know much of him but from my meeting with him, I found him to be an experienced, with a 'rags to riches' story but yet a simple and down-to-earth man. He spoke like a father would to his children, wisdom from his experiences in life, something I feel we don't share to our children enough of (or something we didn't hear enough of from our own fathers in the first place)

Sometimes not that fathers don't have such wisdom, its just that fathers don't know how to share them with their children. Asian fathers are not outspoken, they are not conversationists, they are quiet, reserved and shy.In other words Asian fathers are asian.

Above all the good things that Jimmy Teo shared, he gave us a vision of what could be a tool for all asian fathers to use to share wisdom. It is words in written form. Jimmy has only an '0' level education but he is now a best selling author. He encouraged us to write. To start by writting notes of encouragement, letters and maybe just a chapter of a book for others.

It only takes a spark to get a fire going, so it'll take a 'start' from any of us to leave a legacy. I was thinking of the fact that ...didn't God our heaven Father Himself also use words in written form 'the Bible' to pass down His legacy to us ?"..

Other things I learned from Jimmy:
1) The words "I am sorry".
2) Pray and support our leaders for they go though a lot of things we cannot see.
3) Do not hinder kids from coming to God...help them.
4) Laughter is what makes us human..and so is crying.

Ended the day with a fantastic breakthrough campaign in church, a tour for parents of the new venue of HopeKids LIVE! service, a drink at the Singapore Chinese Swimming Club and a nice dinner at my granduncles house. Though it was a long day, I didn't feel tired. Because I slept early the night before.

There! I can be like Jimmy Teo .. my wisdom for the day. Please sleep early! Oh by the way, I didn't realise its 1:18 am already, I better get some sleep now..Good night!

Me with Jimmy & a great couple in the church, Alan and Hsueh Ting

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

December 2004   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   March 2007   April 2007   October 2008   December 2010   March 2011   July 2011   August 2011   September 2011   October 2011   March 2012   May 2012   August 2012   January 2014  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]