The ragged pieces of ideas and thoughts of my attempt to live a life as a contemporary monastic in the urban city of Singapore..

 

Kukup



Was at a Hope Church Staff Retreat last Monday for 3 days. It was my first time going to Kukup in Malaysia. It was quite exciting for me because I always wanted to be a monk to live in a monastery but I never could because firstly I am happily married and secondly I have no guts.

Our Kukup retreat was partly like living in a monastery. The solitude, the lack of activities, the long time available to be with God, the cold showers, the simplicity of the toilet drainage(that
goes straight back to nature). The part that didn't looked like a monastery are the board games, the abundance of food, the air conditioned rooms and staying up late at night. Actually I've never lived in a monastery so I can only guess these facts.

One of the best thing I learned during this retreat was that my colleague Steven has such tremendous skill with the camera. The insight he has with the photographs that he takes reminds me of Thomas Merton's work with his camera too. Below are some of Steven's photograph for you to agree with me. We can indeed see so much more if we just open our eyes and see things differently from what is the common. He takes such great photographs that I didn't take any myself. I am so complacent using all his photographs.

In the long hours of time with God, I meditated on Psalms 147:4 "God counts the number of the stars; He gives names to all of them". .. the longest time I ever meditated on a verse. If God could give names to all the stars, He must be able and the task he asked Adam to do to name all the animals wasn't shunning responsibility after all. It must be that he finds great joy working and partnering with us in His work on earth.

I came back from Kukup refreshed and thinking that I need to be a better photographer myself and God is going to help me to do it for His glory.









Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

December 2004   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   March 2007   April 2007   October 2008   December 2010   March 2011   July 2011   August 2011   September 2011   October 2011   March 2012   May 2012   August 2012   January 2014  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]