The ragged pieces of ideas and thoughts of my attempt to live a life as a contemporary monastic in the urban city of Singapore..

 

2 Mangos on a Tree

If we worry, we are living in the future. If we regret we are living in the past. I'm learning to live in the present where God can be found. God reminded us to be still and know he is God and the problem with us is that we can hardly be still. When we manage to stop worrying and regreting, we are planning and evaluating, leaving little time for the moment. God works in the present. He speaks and works in the present, so we ought to observe, listen and respect such 'opportune' time.



In the evening as I was trying to live in the present, I notice something I never noticed before. The big mango tree next to the playground at my house has only 2 fruits hanging from it (I'll post the picture soon) And they are at the outer side of the tree directly facing me- hanging there majestically yet subtly as if only for those who are attentive to see. I carried my kids to take a closer look and questioning why only 2 fruit for such a big tree. Both May Ann and Mei Si thought the care taker only watered that particular side of the tree. I suggested maybe God saw that the tree was barren and since its no good, decide to place two mangos on it. The kids seemed to be happy with that reason so we left to another place determined to see other things never seen before. We played a game and took turn to lay on our back on a exercise bench with our heads looking upward. It was fantastic in that position as we start to see stars and constellations, surrounded by leaves of the tallest trees and the passing of white clouds with the wind. I thought if we could be sensitive to the moment, look at things we often don't that God wishes us to, we are able to hear & live God's will better.



It's 12.57am. 14th February 2006, so its Valentines Day already. Romance ought to be in the air as I'm beginning to associate the two solitary mangos hanging on the tree to be Mag and me. OK it sounds so lame .. The fact is I still haven't got an idea what to do with Mag today. I have been so busy I haven't got a gift, or a card, or a rose, yet. Actually, I ought to feel like the big barren tree, hoping for God's miracle of free mangos. No rose but at least Mag will enjoy eating them. As the years gone by, things have become practical and we have both understood that. We are still hanging on that thread of romance but as that wears out, we are also learning that love is patient & kind and all that stuff in 1 Corithians 13:4-7 which God has shown us to be more wonderful. But nevertheless, it's great to be reminded of romance now and then. As for today, its one incident, I wished I had thought about things earlier... Anyway living in the present doesn't mean not planning ... However even if it is, since when has true living been without risk.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone !

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

December 2004   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   March 2007   April 2007   October 2008   December 2010   March 2011   July 2011   August 2011   September 2011   October 2011   March 2012   May 2012   August 2012   January 2014  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]