The ragged pieces of ideas and thoughts of my attempt to live a life as a contemporary monastic in the urban city of Singapore..

 

Following God

Over the weekend, I attended 3 services. Wilson and Belle's Wedding on Saturday, our HopeKids Service on Sunday morning and on Sunday afternoon, the church wide Water Baptism Service. We were so late for the first one because the children had to go for their chinese class but were just in time to have a photo taken with the couple. On Sunday it was a fantastic children service for us. Our two visitors Ps Jeff and Simon my colleagues commented that the atmosphere was great and uplifting. Simon said that he was blessed by the service and that it was unlike the Sunday School he attended when he was young. The team really did a great job. In the afternoon, we baptised 3 kids in water, following God's command to baptise people in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The weekend ended quite meaningfully. Witnessing the coming together of 2 people to be life long partners, ministering to children who are the next generation of the church and baptising people into the family of God. Following God, this is what weekends should be made of.

Reading the book "Purpose Driven Youth Ministry" by Doug Fields to work on our March volunteers recruitment over lunch yesterday. The Lord led me to read the same page 5 times. I was annoyed. Normally that happens if a book is not engaging enough that I get distracted and I don't have a bookmark but it wasn't so. It was a great book and I was determined to read on. So I really think the section on 'the prayer team' must be important. I agree that I have to firm up the prayer aspect of the ministry because it is obvious we cannot do without it. Since we can't be smarter than God, it's a good direction for me for the week and I'm not so annoyed anymore. I will not follow my heart, nor my nose nor my dreams but God my wonderful maker.

I'm reminded of one of my favourite Rich Mullin's songs, "The Maker of Noses". Here's the chorus.


They said boy you just follow your heart
But my heart just led me into my chest
They said follow your nose
But the direction changed every time I went and turned my head
And they said boy you just follow your dreams
But my dreams were only misty notions
But the Father of hearts and the Maker of noses
And the Giver of dreams He's the one I have chosen
And I will follow Him

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

December 2004   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   March 2007   April 2007   October 2008   December 2010   March 2011   July 2011   August 2011   September 2011   October 2011   March 2012   May 2012   August 2012   January 2014  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]